Monday, August 17, 2015

No hat, no stick, no pipe, not even a pocket handkerchief. How can one survive?


I have finally made it to my post in Bamena! and for the first time in about three months I have unpacked ALL of my things.  It's amazing how quickly you adapt to suitcase living: keeping the everyday and "wear regularly" items on the top while having the things you'd never really need in 90-100 degree jungle at the bottom or in the convenient trunk sitting under your suitcase. 
It has taken me forever to get to this point of unpacking, and now that I am up in the mountains, the weather is finally permitting me to put my sweaters and jeans to use! YAY!  So here is a list of all of the things that finally made it to post with me. I have no idea how I fit all this into two suitcases and a backpack, but it worked out and I was JUST underweight!

Clothes:
  • nike running shorts to sleep in/ for lounging/ for running and exercise inside my hosue (5-6 pairs).  I regret not bringing one or two pairs of longer shorts to wear exercising outside.
  • 3-4 couple nice work blouses (hard to find ones that are nice looking and aren't special needs washing!) 
  • 3 knee length dresses (i've only used one of these as the other two are much more formal. I will probably get to wear them eventually, but for now they were kind of a waste of space)
  • 3 knee length skirts (tech and active style, I wear these ALL the time, probably my best purchases)
  • 5-6  nice shirts and tech shirts for day to day use, work, and for going out
  • 3 pairs of pants (not dress, but nicer than jeans) (they are too tight to wear to work, but great for wearing around day to day)
  • 2 pairs of jeans
  • 4 lightweight scarves (one for my host mother for a gift)
  • 5 tank tops (some tech and some just regular cotton)
  • 1 short sleeved sweater, 1 quarter length sweater, and 1 full sleeve sweater ( have been using all of these a lot)
  • 1 fleece jacket
  • 1 raincoat
  • 1 boyfriend's sweater (sentimental packing, but i've been using it a bunch at post)
  • lots of t-shirts
  • lots of bras, socks, and underwear (they have all already started deteriorating...)
  • 2 pairs of chacos
  • 2 running shoes
  • 1 pair of toms
  • 1 pair of black flats (water proof!!)
  • and I had one pair of crocs flats sent to me my first two weeks.
Toiletries:
  • big bottle of dove shampoo (i regret not bringing a huge bottle of the shampoo I always used at home.  shampoo is pretty poor quality and REALLY expensive here and despite the weight, I would really enjoy having my normal shampoo)
  • big bottle of conditioner (VERY difficult to find here)
  • body wash and two bars of my favorite dove soap
  • face wash
  • 4 sticks of my deodorant
  • a couple toothbrushes 
  • two tubes of toothpaste
  • face sunscreen
  • moisturizer
  • lotion
  • two large tech towels and three small hand tech towels (wish I'd brought more! they were so small and easy to pack and they are WONDERFUL)
  • razor and 8 razorheads
  • 1 bottle of my perfume (unnecessary, but it's nice to smell good from time to time)
  • lots of hair ties and clips
  • 1 comb and 1 brush
  • 2 sets of tweesers
  • a bit of makeup for special occasions and going out
  •  nail clippers, file, 2 bottles of polish
Things:
  • Travel Sac sleeping bag
  • Travel pillow
  • small day to day purse
  • small one shoulder day backpack
  • large overnight backpack
  • two reusable grocery bags (they fold small and are really useful)
  • kindle
  • camera
  • iphone
  • macbook air
  • boombottle mini speakers (great life decision)
  • two external harddrives (one for computer backup, the other with movies and tv shows)
  • 1 external battery pack strong enough to recharge my computer (voltaic)
  • a solar usb charger/rechargeable battery (Poweradd)
  • 1 solar powered lantern that deflates to a perfect travel size (luminaid)
  • 2 USB iphone chords
  • 2 mac chargers
  • 2 aux chords
  • 2 kindle chords
  • 2 micro usb chords
  • 1 battery powered alarm clock
  • 2 headlamps
  • batteries
  • travel alarm clock
  • 4 USB sticks
  • 4 journals of varying size for teaching, writing, language notes, and day to day notes
  • 1 french grammar book
  • 1 english grammar book
  • book of Shakespeare's sonnets
  • The Silmarilion
  • Midnight's Children by Salmon Rushdie
  • An anthology of stories and poems for teaching
  • Where the Wild Things Are
  • The Bat Poet
  • LOTS of g2 pens
  • lots of plastic baggies 
  • two knives (one large chopping knife, one smaller knife)
  • swiss army knife
  • travel sewing kit
  • 3 water bottles of varying size and style
  • duck tape
  • 2 pairs of scissors
  • crayons, glitter, glue, and construction paper
  • map of cameroon
  • map of USA
  • map of Alabama
  • LOTS of pictures
  • string, paper clips, hole puncher
  • bunting that my boyfriend's mom made for me
  • 1 frisbee
  • 2 decks of cards

No comments:

Post a Comment